Saturday, February 09, 2002

Quick Greek lesson and an addendum:

First, the more I think about it the more I realize it's unfair to say that Rose never complimented me for my physical appearance. That's just not true, and given that such things seem to mean less to her than they do to me it's actually quite sweet that she has done it at all. So my previous statement isn't really true.

And now three Greek expressions regarding love:

Agapó se (the o is pronounced "oh;" the e in se is pronounced "eh"): In English, "I love you." This is the same verb (agapáo, final o pronounced "oh")) for love used to describe how God loves us. This is the kind of love that is behind all the Protestant rhetoric about love being a verb and not a feeling, and how loving someone is an act of will instead of a state of affection for them. This kind of love is an act of will, a deliberate benevolence that seeks the other's good.

Philó se (same o pronunciation): Also "I love you." This verb for love (philéo, e pronounced as in se) refers to an emotional affection. It's a warm kind of word which has connections to other words in Greek like "beloved" or "dear."

Eró se (again, the o is pronounced "oh"): "I'm in love with you." This is pretty self-explanatory, really, and means in Greek pretty much what it means in English. Connected to words like "eros," the sort of love that means physical desire.

No comments: